Monday, January 05, 2009

Clinical Trial: Medicinal Cannabis- RSD/CRPS Completed

In November of 2003, UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento California began a clinical trial for Medicinal Marijuana use for Neuropathic pain associated with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) type 1 and 2. Having been diagnosed with RSD/CRPS type 2 (Causalgia) the same year, I was very eager to participate in the study. The best part was that UCD Medical Center is located just 15 minutes down the street from us. Due to certain circumstances I was not able to participate.

For information about this study please refer to ClinicalTrials.gov .
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this record January 5, 2009. (Today)
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier:
NCT00254761

What is interesting is that while cannabis for the casual user is technically illegal, mandatory eligibility requirements constituted having previous marijuana experience. You could not be marijuana naive and participate.

While I've never been a big Ganja user, I conducted my own study since I couldn't participate in the Clinical Trial.

While I'm almost certain most participants would claim it decreased their pain significantly whether it did or not simply because when severely pain stricken we become so desperate that we'll do almost anything to survive the moment. With a prescription from our pain manager we can buy, grow (up to 12 plants) and use it legally for pain.

My own personal study concluded with this:

It did not help beyond an approximate 20 minutes for pain itself. I would presume it was because during that 20 minutes I was high. My mind was sidetracked. This is not a bad thing. 20 minutes without pain or even "thinking" you aren't in pain can seem a lifetime when the alternative is praying to die.

When I finished smoking no more than a quarter of a joint, equivalent to 2-3 short to moderate inhales, my legs rushed with warmth, this is also a good thing, it means the damage from the nerves in my legs was responding, but when the pain began increasing again and at it's peak it seemed tri-fold from where it started.

It also heightened my hyper-sexuality. Yet another good thing. However, when the feeling of triple terror overwhelmed me when the pain returned, I was again back to being afraid to be touched as my flesh has become so sensitive over the last couple of years that a brush of passion, a touch of love, feels like being cut with razors instead.

Those with CRPS type 1 previously known as RSD may have better luck. CRPS type 1 means no known nerve injury or damage. Type 2 means with known nerve injury and damage. CRPS type 2 was previously known as Causalgia. RSD became a universal term to mean either.

I am interested in knowing how cannabis has helped those with CRPS type 2.

Is it really worth it? And is it worth it enough?

Perhaps.


~rsdcrpsfire


No comments: